Transfer news LIVE: PSG cut Barcola price tag, Arsenal get Alvarez update, Chelsea set new Enzo price

Atletico Madrid manager Diego Simeone has confirmed that he will bench star striker and Arsenal target Julian Alvarez for their LaLiga opener on Wednesday as he remains locked in a transfer dispute over his future. Alvarez is pushing to join Barcelona this summer, with Atletico CEO Miguel Angel Gil Marin saying the club would not even accept €200m for the former Manchester City forward. Arsenal are hoping to land a marquee attacking signing this summer ahead of their Premier League title defence.

Manchester City face a price hike if they are to sign Enzo Fernandez from Chelsea. City are still interested in signing Fernandez despite missing Chelsea’s Friday deadline for offers, but now face paying much more than the £120m the Blues were demanding last week. Chelsea want the midfielder’s future to be resolved before their opening game of the season this weekend. City, meanwhile, are to sign 18-year-old midfielder Ayyoub Bouaddi for £85m after selling Ballon d’Or winner Rodri to Barcelona in a deal worth up to £65m.

Elsewhere, Manchester United are set to reject an audacious approach from Galatasaray for their captain Bruno Fernandes. The Turkish club are determined to sign a star this summer and are lining up a comprehensive financial package that would have doubled the 31-year-old midfielder’s salary, but United’s stance is that Fernandes is not for sale. Fernandes has entered the final 12 months of his contract at Old Trafford, but there is an option to extend for another year, and United are also set to open discussions on a new deal.

Liverpool have agreed terms with Paris Saint-Germain forward Ibrahim Mbaye and also want to sign Bradely Barcola, according to reports in France. Both Mbaye, 18, and France international Barcola were left out of PSG’s squad for the French Super Cup on Sunday. The European champions were set to demand £145m for Barcola, who is also wanted by Arsenal, but Liverpool are prepared to play the long-game as they bid to negotiate a price.

Follow all of the latest news, rumours and done deals below

The transfer reality holding Man United back from the next step under Michael Carrick

United have missed out on two of their top targets and look short of the firepower to outbid their rivals ahead of a first full campaign under Carrick and the ultimate aim to challenge for the title once more, writes Richard Jolly

Mike Jones18 August 2026 19:00

Arsenal to sell Gabriel Martinelli after being left out of Community Shield?

Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta has said Gabriel Martinelli and Ethan Nwaneri remain “important” for the Premier League champions despite them both being left out of their squad for the Community Shield final.

Arteta explained that he was been pushing the Premier League to extend their squad limits to accommodate more players, but both Martinelli and Nwaneri have been linked with moves away. Martinelli turned down a move to Galatasaray on Friday, following a bid of around £39m.

“It’s really sad not to have their availability,” Arteta said. “I’ve been fighting with the Premier League to extend and accommodate more players in the squad because they deserve to be in the squad, there’s no question.

“Ethan [Nwaneri] and Marli [Salmon] as well, who has had the whole pre-season with us. Hopefully we can change that rule so players can enjoy on the pitch and can be an option to play and contribute to the team going forward.”

Mike Jones18 August 2026 18:40

Barcelona complete Rodri transfer from Manchester City in £65.4million deal

The midfielder, named player of the tournament during Spain’s World Cup triumph this summer, completed a £65.4million transfer on Tuesday after undergoing his medical with the club.

Rodri spent seven seasons at City, helping them win the Premier League title on four occasions and scoring the decisive goal as they beat Inter Milan in the 2023 Champions League final.

Flo Clifford18 August 2026 18:20

PSG cut Barcola price tag in boost to Liverpool

The Standard is reporting that PSG have lowered their price tag for key Liverpool target Bradley Barcola, in the latest update in what is becoming quite the long-running saga.

The two clubs had previously been at loggerheads over PSG’s £145m valuation for the France star, but reports indicate the Ligue 1 club have lowered their price to as little (!) as £110m, a figure much more amenable to the Reds – although the suggestion is they will still attempt to lower it further.

(PA)
Flo Clifford18 August 2026 18:00

Spanish side want Alvarez

Real Sociedad have made an approach for West Ham’s Edson Alvarez.

Ajax were also interested in the 28-year-old defensive midfielder but have cooled their interest.

(PA)
Mike Jones18 August 2026 17:40

He will bring both defensive and attacking qualities

Newcastle United head coach, Matthias Jaissle, spoke about his first signing Amar Dedic.

He said: “I’m really happy to add Amar to our squad. He’s a player who I know really well, having worked with him from a young age in Austria and followed his career since.

“He will bring both defensive and attacking qualities to our squad, which suits the style of football that we want to play. He’s athletic, aggressive and technically very good, but also has a lot of potential to develop further.

“Amar is still young but already has a lot of valuable experience – he’s played in the Champions League and the World Cup, as well as representing huge clubs in Austria, France and Portugal. I’m really looking forward to working with him again.”

Mike Jones18 August 2026 17:20

Fifa accused of ‘management by fear’ after Gianni Infantino critic sacked

Kevin Lamour left his role as Fifa’s chief operating officer just weeks after criticising Gianni Infantino’s plans to sell off stakes in the World Cup.

Jamie Braidwood18 August 2026 17:00

Everton CEO addresses transfer concerns

Everton CEO Angus Kinnear addressed some of the concerns over the club’s transfer policies including the need for a right-back.

Speaking to BBC Radio Merseyside, Kinnear said: “I don’t think we are in a bad position on that.

“The players we thought we had the option of are still available for us, I don’t think they will be there for Crystal Palace, which was the objective.

“I’m confident that we’ll bring a right back in. It’s a position we’ve needed. I think Jake (O’Brien) has done a sterling job for us in that position. It was something that we were trying to do last summer and didn’t feel that we could get the quality in.

“So a right-back was top priority in the window, we would have liked to have got it done earlier. I understand the fans’ frustrations; I understand how they see it as being critical.

“Even the Prime Minister chipped in to give us some helpful direction. So it’s reached a level of national importance.

“So we are working hard to bring one in and I’m sure we will. I’m sure it will be an improvement, and it will round off the squad nicely.”

Mike Jones18 August 2026 16:40

Arsenal make progress on Konsa

Mikel Arteta is keen to bring in defensive reinforcements for the Gunners before the end of the transfer window due to William Saliba’s back injury which will see him absent until October.

One of the options Arsenal are looking at is Aston Villa and England star Ezri Konsa.

The Independent’s Chief Football Writer, Miguel Delaney, says that progress is being made in talks between the two clubs but Arsenal still need to match Villa’s valuation of the defender.

The rumoured fee Villa hope to achieve is around £60m with Arsenal understood to value Konsa at closer to £40m but there is anticipation that a compromise could be reached.

(Getty)
Miguel Delaney18 August 2026 16:26

Newcastle keen on Bergvall

Sticking with Tottenham, Newcastle United are interested in signing midfielder Lucas Bergvall.

The Daily Mail suggest that the Magpies see Bergvall as a replacement for Bruno Guimaraes who has moved to Arsenal.

Bergvall had a promising season with Spurs last year and is viewed as one of the most exciting young players in Europe.

The 20-year-old wants more game time however and has asked to leave the club if that is not guaranteed. Spurs are understood to value him at around £50m which should be within budget for Newcastle if they decide to act.

(PA)
Mike Jones18 August 2026 16:20