THE countdown to Euro 2024 is well under way as one country prepares to host the 17th edition of the UEFA European Championship.
So who has qualified? and where is it being held? Here’s what we know.
When is Euro 2024?
Euro 2024 will take place on June 14, 2024.
Euro 2024 will last for one month, with the final set to be held on Sunday, July 14 at the 70,000-capacity Olympiastadion in Berlin.
Where is Euro 2024 being held?
Germany will host EURO 2024.
In 1988, West Germany hosted the edition, but this will be the first time the country has staged the UEFA European Championship since reunification.
The 2006 FIFA World Cup also took place in the country.
The 10 host venues are as follows:
- Berlin – Olympiastadion Berlin
- Cologne – Cologne Stadium (RheinEnergieSTADION)
- Dortmund – BVB Stadion Dortmund (Signal Iduna Park)
- Dusseldorf – Dusseldorf Arena (MERKUR SPIEL-ARENA)
- Frankfurt – Frankfurt Arena (Deutsche Bank Park)
- Gelsenkirchen – Arena AufSchalke (Veltins-Arena)
- Hamburg – Volksparkstadion Hamburg
- Leipzig – Leipzig Stadium (Red Bull Arena)
- Munich – Munich Football Arena (Allianz Arena)
- Stuttgart – Stuttgart Arena (MHPArena)
Who has qualified for Euro 2024 so far?
UEFA confirmed in January 2023, that the Euro 2024 tournament will remain a 24-team competition after discussions over allowing 32 teams to enter.
Qualification is still ongoing and so far Germany is the only team qualified for the group stage, as they are the hosts of the tournament.
They will be in Group A.
A further 20 nations will qualify by finishing in the top positions in their qualification group.
Another three will join the hosts in the showpiece tournament through the play-offs.
Countries that have qualified so far, are:
- Germany – host
How long will the Euro 2024 qualifiers be on for?
The UEFA Euro 2024 qualifying tournament is being played from March 2023 to March 2024.
The ten group winners and ten runners-up will automatically qualify for Euro 2024.
The last three spots will be filled from 12 teams that compete in the play-offs based on Nations League performance.
Here are the key dates to decide who will take the remaining places in Germany next summer.
- Matchday 9: November 15-18, 2023
- Matchday 10: November 19-21, 2023
- Play-off semi-finals: March 21, 2024
- Play-off finals: March 26, 2024
The draw for the tournament will be in Hamburg on Saturday, December 2.
The teams for the draw will be seeded by their overall European Qualifiers rankings.