REAL MADRID have demanded “answers and explanations” as to who was at fault for the shocking scenes outside the Stade de France before and after the Champions League final last weekend.
Uefa have also apologised for the “frightening events”.
Club CEO Billy Hogan admitted he was “in complete disbelief” after French ministers blamed Liverpool fans for the chaos outside the ground.
Interior minister Gerald Darmanin blamed an “industrial level” of fake tickets for the scenes of carnage outside the Stade de France.
French chiefs also claimed there had been no trouble at all in the Real Madrid end of the ground.
But now Real Madrid have released a statement confirming their fans were in fact “assaulted and robbed” outside the stadium.
Real, who won the game 1-0 after kick-off was delayed by 36 minutes, called for an explanation as to why Paris was chosen for the final and what safety measures were put in place for the game.
Russia’s invasion of Ukraine prompted the Champions League final to be moved from St. Petersburg to the French capital in February.
A strongly worded Real statement said: “Given the unfortunate events that took place on May 28 in the vicinity and entrances to the Stade de France, including inside the stadium itself, Real Madrid CF would like to state the following in defence of our supporters who were victims of these events.
“We want to know what were the reasons that motivated that designation of the venue of the final and what criteria were taken into consideration taking into account what happened that day.
“We ask for answers and explanations that determine who was responsible for leaving the fans helpless and defenceless. Some followers whose general behaviour was at all times exemplary.
“We understand that what should have been a great celebration of football for all the fans who attended the game turned into unfortunate events that have caused deep outrage around the world.”
Real referenced the social media footage, plus eyewitness accounts, that suggested their fans also encountered problems.
They claimed some supporters even had to spend the night in hospital after suffering injuries.
Real Madrid’s statement continued: “As has been clearly seen in the revealing images offered by the media, many of the fans were violently assaulted, harassed and robbed.
“Some events that also took place when they were driving in their cars or buses fearing for their physical integrity.
“Some of them even had to spend the night in the hospital for injuries received.
“Football has transmitted to the world an image far removed from the values and objectives that it must always pursue.
“Our followers and fans deserve a response and that the relevant responsibilities be cleared up so that situations like the ones experienced are eradicated forever from football and sport.”
Uefa have also said sorry for what took place.
A statement read: “UEFA wishes to sincerely apologise to all spectators who had to experience or witness frightening and distressing events in the build-up to the UEFA Champions League final last week.”
Uefa have launched their own independent investigation into the events that occurred outside the Stade de France.