FOOTBALL legend Pele is in a “stable condition” and has “full control of vital functions”, according to reports.
The Brazilian was yesterday taken to hospital in Sao Paulo amid his ongoing battle with cancer.
Reports had suggested he was dealing with swelling over his body.
His daughter, Kely Nasicmento, confirmed his hospitalisation but added it was not an emergency yesterday afternoon.
Reports from Brazil say that Pele is stable and does not need to be submitted to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) at the Albert Einstein Hospital in Sao Paulo.
A note from the hospital released to the Brazilian press said: “After medical evaluation, the patient was taken to a common room, without the need for hospitalization in a semi-intensive unit or ICU.
“The former player has full control of vital functions and stable clinical condition.”
The 82-year-old was taken to hospital on Tuesday by wife Marcia Aoki, 56, and a carer.
The sports icon had been in and out of hospital in recent months after having surgery to remove a tumour from his colon last year.
It is not known when he will be discharged this time.
Pele’s daughter Kely told followers on Instagram about her father’s condition yesterday.
She wrote: “My father is hospitalised, he is regulating his medication.”
She added: “I’m not jumping on a flight to run there.
“My brothers are in Brazil visiting and I’m going on New Year’s Eve. There are no surprises or emergencies.”
Pele is widely recognised as being one of the greatest footballers of time.
In his distinguished career, he led Brazil to the World Cup in 1958, 1962 and 1970, the only player to win the tournament three times.
The former striker is also credited with scoring an incredible 1,281 goals in 1,363 professional games.
Pele also scored 77 goals in 92 games for Brazil in a career that lasted from the mid-1950s to the 1970s.
He spent most of his club career at Brazilian club Santos before a two-year stint playing for the New York Cosmos.